Thursday, September 21, 2006

Gardening

Tomorrow I'm going to be SOOOOOO sore. Matt had the day off today, so we dug a new flower bed--in extremely hard red georgia clay. Man! Very difficult. Had to use a pick. But we got it done. (Though I'm going to have to make it bigger.) Added a couple hundred pounds of manure, lime, and ferilizer. And then started planting cannas.

Also got one of those big rotating compost bins from a FreeCycler. Haven't got it set up yet, but I think it will be very useful.

Oh, and when we went to Lowes to get fertilizer, etc. I got 56 mums. Yup, that's right--56. They had a couple carts of them on markdown--tiny ones were 10 cents and the small ones were 20 cents. All that was wrong with them was that the flowers had gotten dried out. The leaves and the rest were fine. So all we had to do was deadhead them and now they look great.

I'm going to be busy with gardening work for a while. I think the dining room is going to be waiting for a while to get painted. But when someone gives you a who bunch of NICE free plants--other things get put on hold.

No comments:

Widget_logo