We'll basically be having apps from our favorite (no longer in business) restaurant. Homemade hummus, toasted pita bread and veggies for dipping, salad, greek olives. YUM!
So, tonight's hummus recipe...sorry, no actual measurements as I just dumped stuff in.
- 2-6 cloves of garlic peeled and quartered
- 1/3 cup or so of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas) rinsed
- 1/2 - 2/3 cups tahini (sesame paste, the only pricey item in this recipe)
- a couple tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- a bit of water to help with blending, maybe a 1/3 cup?
- a few dashes of ground cumin (optional)
- salt to taste
- fresh greek oregano, olive oil, ground black pepper or paprika for garnish (all optional)
-Put all the ingredients except water, salt, and garnish into blender. Begin blending and adding water bit by bit to work through all the ingredients. Add salt to taste. Blend some more until you get a consistent creamy consistency, scraping sides and stirring occasionally.
-Pour into containers and chill. Add olive oil, oregano, and pepper or paprika just before serving as garnish.
-This recipe makes a lot. You can keep in the fridge for up to a week or freeze. (But it never lasts long enough in our house for that)