Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rainy lunchtime

I'm feeding Autumn today's gourmet lunch--a mixture of baby cereal, vanilla yogurt, and applesauce--which, despite it's slimy appearance, must taste okay, since she's actually eating it. (For the first five days of this week, Autumn absolutely refused any food other than formula.) But she's very distracted...stopping every few seconds to examine her fingers, or her shirt, or to suck her thumb for a few seconds between bites. Then she decides that she actually wants the other thumb and in the process of switching discovers her fingers all over again. All this thumb-sucking while eating is also resulting in a very very messy baby and highchair.

It's raining. Finally. Maybe it will bring our grass back to life. We haven't really had any rain at all this spring and everything is so dry. Whenever a shower comes through it somehow skips our neighborhood. Even now, it's supposed to be lots of rain and very severe storms, but it's just barely sprinkling and it's been looking ominous all morning, without any actual storms. I'm tired of watering the garden every day. Maybe this will bring some of the droopy plants back to life, too.

Autumn had a rough night again last night. Her teeth are really bothering her and then on top of that Matt and I had the nerve to put her down to sleep in the pack 'n play in the living room, rather than in her crib. She punished me for it by screaming until I finally picked her up and then refusing to go back to sleep until about 2am.

The reason that we attempted to put her down in the living room is that we're finally trying to get her room finished. I worked on it for several days in a row a while ago and since then I haven't been able to do anything else in there. We worked all day yesterday on it. I painted till about 12:30 last night and then again this morning. Now just about everything is done. There's a little bit of trim to do still and some touch-ups. And lots and lots of clean-up. I'll try to post some pictures once we get rid of the drop cloths and things.

And as always happens when I get in the middle of painting, the rest of the house is a mess. So I'm going to be playing catch-up today. What I really want to do is curl up in my chair with a good book and just listen to the rain. I love rain. When it started this morning I had to go out and stand in it for a few moments.

There was just a big clap of thunder (the first). Autumn just about jumped out of her skin. :-) And spattered more food around.

I also like storms. Most people I know don't. But they're exciting.

I think I'm going to give up on getting Autumn to eat anymore and try to get her cleaned up. Now she's tired of her thumbs too and is just blowing raspberries at me.

No comments:

Widget_logo